History of Chatfield College
Proud of its Catholic heritage, Chatfield College is the only Associate’s degree liberal arts college in southwest Ohio, offering fully-accredited academics with individual attention and small class sizes to meet the needs and improve the lives of diverse lifelong learners. In cooperation with other accredited colleges and universities, Chatfield offers opportunities to achieve Bachelor’s degree completion.
In 1845, a group of Ursuline Sisters dedicated to education came to Ohio from France. Their leader, Sister Julia Chatfield, founded the Ursuline convent in St. Martin, Ohio and the community immediately began construction of a four-story brick school building in the Brown County wilderness. From that foundation, the educational mission of the Ursulines of Brown County has reached children and adults through the public school system, a boarding school, a summer camp, counseling, high school, and college.
In 1958, the Sisters founded the Ursuline Teacher Training Institute to provide a quality liberal arts education to women joining the Ursuline Order. In 1971, the public was admitted and the school was renamed Chatfield College in honor of Sr. Julia Chatfield. Today, Chatfield College continues the Ursuline tradition of fine education at both the St. Martin campus in rural Brown County, Ohio and the Cincinnati location in the Over-the-Rhine neighborhood
To see a list of our accreditations and affiliations, click below.